Monday, February 7, 2011

Sewing for myself: A+ Skirts from Make it Perfect

I knew there was a reason that so far in my sewing career, I'd only sewed things for kids.  There's very little measuring required, and therefore less room for error.

I had purchased this A+ Skirts pattern (by Make it Perfect) earlier this month (online from craftymamas).

Picture from Make it Perfect website (provided on cover of purchased pattern)

I thought the skirts looked cute (I had meant to google whether girls with big hips should wear A-line skirts, but never did and bought the pattern anyway..). I also thought that making my own skirts would save me a fortune, and would allow me to choose some cool fabrics for some original designs..

I made two skirts over the weekend. Not because I wanted to make two, but because the first size I made was too tight (even despite my attempt at taking my measurements so carefully).

I cut into my special Michael Miller fabric, and made the skirt from View A first. The pattern was simple to follow and I was quite impressed by my attention to detail.  Also my first attempt at sewing in a zip went quite well. But when I sewed it up - it was a bit firm. I am hoping that my 8-week-post-birth-tummy deflates a bit more in the coming weeks :)

Can you feel me holding in my breath here?


Because the skirt was a bit 'firm' around my midriff - I decided to make the next size up (the great thing about this pattern is the range of sizes you can make it in). But unfortunately for me, the next size up was a lot bigger and the skirt is massive.  But it did allow me to try making another style of the skirt (I went with View B) and I thought the pockets in contrasting fabric looked great.


So in summary, what did I learn from this sewing project?

- maybe get someone more experienced with sewing to help me measure myself
- don't measure myself 8 weeks post partum
- focus on progressing slowly and carefully through each step of the pattern instructions and things will work out ok
- don't make skirts in navy blue because they remind me of my high school uniform, or a police uniform.
- always get rid of clothes that are too big for you but hold onto clothes that are too small. Just in case the universe gets confused and can't remember which clothes you're trying to fit yourself into..


1 comment:

  1. i love them julie! now that i have finished lachies room - yet to post the rest on my blog- but i think i want to give that skirt a go. i have been wanting some simple skirts like that!! well done u clever thing!

    ReplyDelete