Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My new life as a gardener..

They say having a child changes you. Whoever 'they' are, I should congratulate them because they're right. Otherwise I would never have sectioned off an area of our back yard and built some garden beds for a vege crop (and when I say 'I', I really mean 'my husband and father in law' built the crop - but it was under 'my' supervision)
I originally planned to make them all no-dig gardens, but because of the cost of creating the no dig gardens, and the fact that our soil isn't too bad (it leans more to the clay'y end of the scale) I decided to try 2 as regular gardens, and the big one as a no-dig. Ironically, here's me and my boobs digging in the no-dig garden.
A couple of weeks later I created the no-dig garden, and boosted the soil quality of the other two gardens in preparation for planting.
I decided there was no great hurry getting seeds into the soil, as February is not the best time to plant.. Here are the results of what my folks did to amuse themselves the morning after I created my gardens (I think it was payback for the flies I attracted with the bags of manure and hay!).
So - I've got the garden ready, I've read the Diggers website back to front, and my Stephanie Alexander "Kitchen Garden Companion" book, and once I get the seeds - I'll be ready to go. I'll keep posting updates on how the vege garden progresses over the coming months. Hopefully it will become a bountiful patch of goodness in no time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment